Wednesday, August 22, 2012

NT Scan and Perinatologist Update

I swear that was the longest appointment ever.  It was good news. Squishy looks great. But because of some of the issues with my last pregnancy and with Smudge, there was a lot to talk about .

First, the NT Scan. It looked great. Squishy is CRAZY active. More than Smudge ever was. Just as stubborn too. Goodie. But the NT measurement looked awesome. 1.4mm. The perinatologist said that's a great measurement at any point in the pregnancy. They also saw the nasal bone, which is good news. There were no other soft markers present that would indicate a chromosomal abnormality. They saw all of the major organs they were looking for, 2 arms and 2 legs. The umbilical cord has 3 vessels and Squishy is measuring a couple of days ahead, at 12w2d. 

See... Squishy.



It's a picture of a monitor, so please forgive the quality.
Our actual pictures won't be scanned until tomorrow.

We talked a lot about my Smudge pregnancy. He's concerned that I won't be able to VBAC, but that's not his expertise, so I'm not really considering his opinion. If Dr Z and the midwives think I can do it, that's all that matters. Dr C (from the perinatology institute) can make sure Squishy grows and thrives while s/he's inside, my midwives will take care of things from there. He had some concerns about placenta placement, but it's nice and posterior for now, so there are no concerns with my incision. Two fibroids have made an appearance (background: I had three at the beginning of my Smudge IVF cycle and at my c-section they found nine. At the beginning of my Squishy cycle there were none, so we fully expected them to make an appearance at some point, since they're likely hormonally driven) but they're on the exterior of my uterus, like the other ones were, so not concerned about them at this point. Also, the cyst that was on my right ovary (and at one point the size of my head) has completely resolved. So yay that. 

I brought up my concerns about Smudge not having grown in my last month of the pregnancy. (At 35 weeks, she was measuring approximately 5lbs 12oz, and then was born 5 weeks later at 5lbs 8oz - just this side of low weight for gestational age.) He reviewed all of my records from my pregnancy, and said that at every scan I had, she was measuring 40-50%.  He agreed that it was concerning that it appears she didn't gain any weight from 35-40 weeks. He plans on monitoring me a little bit closer at the end of this pregnancy. I'm okay with that. A few extra ultrasounds aren't going to hurt - but it they indicate that the baby is in trouble, then we will be able to do something about it. We were fortunate that Smudge was healthy, despite her lack of growth. It might not be the same next time. 

We also discussed the two congenital issues that Smudge had. Her severe hip dysplasia and her cardiac defect. The latter automatically got me signed up for a fetal echo. I'm okay with that. Dr C said I could go back to Smudge's cardiologist for the echo, which is great. I just love her (another Dr C). Her hip dysplasia was another story. As of right now, Smudge's orthopedic surgeon at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) is calling it Developmental Dysplasia of the Hips. If Squishy is born with hip dysplasia as well, both babies will be given the diagnosis of Congenital Dysplasia of the Hips. Unfortunately, this is something they can't look for in utero. Dr S (the ortho) has already agreed to see us soon after birth for an ultrasound, rather than waiting the standard 4 weeks. I just can't wait that long. Smudge was in treatment at 6 days old. I'd feel negligent if Squishy needed something that we weren't providing in that time. 

I know this has already been so long - but wait - there's more. 

My MTHFR comes back into play, as being homozygous for the mutation makes me a higher risk for having a child with a spinal/neural tube defect (which we were initially concerned about with Smudge). However, since my homocysteine level has been normal, he's less concerned. Even though, he's recommending that combined with my age, I have the 2nd trimester AFP blood test done. He said at their clinic, they're 95% accurate with picking up spinal defects via ultrasound, but it's better to be safe than sorry. 

After all of that, I had my blood drawn for my 1st trimester risk of chromosomal abnormalities. 

He also told us that the clinic has been involved in some groundbreaking research, and that they're now offering a blood test (not covered by insurance now, but hopefully one day will be) which can indicate the trisomies and certain other genetic disorders like Turners Syndrome with 99% accuracy. That's just amazing. Hopefully we won't have to be concerned about the risk enough to pay for this test, but it's nice to know there's a more accurate blood test available prior to having to submit to an amniocentesis, should it come to that. 

That's enough, right?

It was a lot of information in one day. I practically fell asleep on my way home and I'm still really dragging. Smudge's Dad is working hard on trying to get her to bed, because I'm pretty sure if I were doing it, I'd be asleep before she would. 

Now we wait for the results. But based on the ultrasound, we hopefully have little (other than my age and egg quality) to worry about. 

Stay tuned....








No comments:

Post a Comment